[TR] R&R timing gears, chain and spring

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Fri Nov 30 11:50:31 MST 2007

In a message dated 11/30/2007 11:55:29 AM Central Standard Time,
barteet at mrl.ucsb.edu writes:
> I fired the little
> brute up and realized that the noise I had incorrectly identified as a
> worn rocker assembly a while back was in fact coming from my timing cover.
>
> Uh-oh.
>
> The noise sounds like a very loose rocker, and it goes away when the car
> is revved about 1500 RPM but returns with idle.

A local club member had this symptom with his MG 1100.  He tried everything
before he figured out it was a loose cam shaft nut.  The threads got bunged up
and the nut would not clamp the sprocket tight to the shaft.

Worth checking out.

Dave