[TR] Over Drive Question

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Nov 28 08:57:36 MST 2007

> There are two solenoids on the transmission, one below the
> gear shifter that is a three inch cylindrical solenoid with
> two male wire poles that are not marked

That's the real solenoid.  Doesn't matter which terminal is which, either
one can go to ground.

> another smaller
> pancake looking solenoid on top of the transmission that also
> has two male wiring poles that are not marked.

That isn't a solenoid, it's a "lockout" switch that prevents the OD from
being engaged in any gear except 3rd or 4th.  It's function is especially
important, because backing up with the OD engaged can destroy the OD.

> Can anyone
> tell me which wires go where,

Not sure what your harness looks like.  But basically, there needs to be an
operating switch somewhere within reach of the driver (I think a 76 Spit
would originally have had a special shift knob with the switch built into
the knob).  That switch gets power from the white (or green) circuit (ie hot
only when the ignition is on).  Then a wire runs from the operating switch
to the lockout switch on top of the transmission.  Another wire from the
lockout switch to the solenoid; and yet another from the solenoid to ground.
For both switches and the solenoid, it doesn't matter which terminal is
which, just one wire per terminal.

Randall