[TR] 72 TR6 - Oil in Exhaust

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Nov 27 16:20:39 MST 2007

> The rebuilt engine has 10,000 miles on a new rings, new valves and
> guides, but I can not seem to find any other place where the oil is
> going too, or how I can use so much in a short period of time.

Tom, do you by any chance have the "external oil feed" modification ?
Excess oil burning is a common complaint, caused by too much oil on top of
the head.

Otherwise, I'd be looking at emissions plumbing, valve guides, and rings, in
roughly that order.  Try pulling off the crankcase breather and see if there
is oil going through it.  Perhaps you can get someone to follow you and
comment on when they see blue smoke.

Yes, I know you had all that stuff 'done', but obviously something is wrong.
Sometimes the magic works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Don't know offhand if a TR6 had one, but a Stag has an "oil trap" built into
the valve cover.

HTH
Randall