[TR] TR4 / 4A Gearbox Counterweight

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Nov 27 09:19:48 MST 2007

> I have never heard mention of this part before. Does anyone
> recognise it?

Yup, got one in the parts bin.  It was fitted to some TR4s, supposedly in an
attempt to solve an annoying buzz from the gearshift lever (only on some
cars only at certain rpm, I would guess).  According to the SPC, only fitted
from gearbox CT17815 to CT35719.

It's actually cast iron rather than lead, and there is supposed to be a
rubber bushing in the center (likely missing from the one on eBay).  As
noted, it goes on the back of the housing, so it doesn't rotate.

Strictly non-essential, IMO, unless you expect a very well-informed concours
judge to be crawling under the car.

Randall