[TR] TR6 timing Chain Tensioner Question

Tony Gordon triumph at 2simpleusa.com
Tue Nov 20 21:11:59 MST 2007

Having now completed the tear down, and having got some of the mechanicals
organized, I was looking at the "odd bits and pieces" still to be dealt with,
and have come across some references to a need to improve the timing chain
tensioner ... and I can see why!  The standard bit of bent spring steel
doesn't inspire any confidence!

Surely there has to be a better way of providing tension?   I seem to recall
from my experiences with UK 4 cylinder engines (mostly Ford or Lotus-Ford 4)
that spring-loaded hard rubber blocks were the norm, and that you could
increase the tension to hold timing at the cost of more frequent timing cover
tear downs).

Is there anything better out there, or am I worrying unnecessarily?