[TR] 2 steering turns lock-to-lock good enuf for now!

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Nov 20 15:37:29 MST 2007

>    However, I'll have to say that  It was weird that by
> making an extreme turn
> of the steering wheel to the left, resulted in having the
> rotor pointing 1-2"
> less than when the same thing is done for the extreme right.  Upon
> investigating all the suspension/steering at this point, no
> parts, nor bolts
> were making contact inappropriate !

Almost certainly, that means the Pitman arm is not installed correctly onto
the rocker shaft.  With the box centered, the Pitman arm is supposed to
point off to the side a bit, not straight along the tube.

> Now that
> I think about it, the rocker peg might be inserted 1 worm
> revolution shorter,

Nope, wouldn't do it.  If that were the case, you could just turn the worm
that extra revolution to get it centered.

> I hope my methods have been adequate.

As I recall, the book warns against turning the worm until the peg reaches
the end of the slot.  I'm not sure exactly why, but I would guess that the
potentially extreme force against the peg/worm can lead to damage.

Randall