[TR] 2 steering turns lock-to-lock good enuf for now!

Paul Dorsey dorpaul at negia.net
Tue Nov 20 14:58:05 MST 2007

The Workshop Manual for the TR3 says it ought to be 2 1/4 turns lock-to-lock
for my steering wheel.  After properly setting the length of my Tie Rods,
double checking that everything's in its rightful position, I am able only
able to achieve 2 revolutions.  For now at least, I am ok with that.
   However, I'll have to say that  It was weird that by making an extreme turn
of the steering wheel to the left, resulted in having the rotor pointing 1-2"
less than when the same thing is done for the extreme right.  Upon
investigating all the suspension/steering at this point, no parts, nor bolts
were making contact inappropriate !  However by turning it to the right, the
lock stop properly halted all turning.  I repeat, the left side's lock stop
never contacted anything, the leftest turn of the left rotor was halted about
an inch shorter.  If required, I will pick up this issue later as 2 steering
wheel turns seem adequate for now.
    All of the above was done with the car jacked up and both wheels were off
the ground, the front apron also was off making adjustments easier.  Now that
I think about it, the rocker peg might be inserted 1 worm revolution shorter,
which MIGHT account for the 1/4 steering wheel turn to the left not being
reached.
I hope my methods have been adequate.

I think Im ok with it for now,
thanks, Paul Dorsey  60 TR3