[TR] length of string - long

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Tue Nov 20 10:08:32 MST 2007

Actually, Andrew had it right, too.

You wrote: c +3 = (pi * d) +3

He wrote circumference + 3 = pi * d + 3

These are equivalent but yours is explicit whereas his is implicit and
dependent on the rules of precedence.  When evaluating his equation you perform the
multiplication before the addition which is the same as what you spelled out
with your parentheses.  To avoid confusion your representation is preferred but
either is correct.

And his answer 3/pi is nearly equal to your one foot result.  More accurate,
in fact, but either is close enough for our purposes.

Dave