[TR] TR3A OD A and J type

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Sat Nov 17 08:55:03 MST 2007

In a message dated 11/17/2007 6:13:14 AM Central Standard Time,
DLylis at aol.com writes:
> I am about to install a J type overdrive on my 3A which has a 4  tranny.
> Given that my tranny has the necessary 'dimple' on the 1/2 shift  fork for
> OD to
> function in 2 gear is there any reason that I am overlooking that  the
> switch
> could not be installed in the cover for both the 1/2 shift fork and  the 3/4
>
> shift fork so that the OD would work like an A?  As you may  note by the
> commission number my car origianally had OD but somewhere along a
> 'restoration' it
> got removed.
> Please hold off on the tranny mount issues.  I am aware and have  worked
> that
> out.
> TIA

I had OD in second gear on my TR6 (with J-type) and eventually disconnected
the switch.  It was a waste of time in my book.  At second gear speeds the OD
takes so long to engage that you will be upshifting to third by the time it
engages.  I suppose there are traffic situations where the speed will bounce
between 10 and 40 MPH and having OD in second gear would be a nice thing to have
but the TR6 has enough torque that third gear will work well, too.

The short answer is: Yes you can and it will work.  But my recommendation is
it isn't worth the trouble.

Dave