[TR] Fan Hookup

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Sun Nov 11 20:08:05 MST 2007

In a message dated 11/11/2007 5:20:13 PM Central Standard Time,
david.brister at wanadoo.fr writes:
> Is there a guru with a definitive answer to whether it's better to have an
> electric fan wired to run whenever the thermal switch says so?
> ISTR that I've owned a Volvo and a VW, both of which had fans that would run
>
> with engine off and ignition key out, so there must be an argument for
> this..

Sure.  You can save a $5.00 relay that way.  (actually, the cost to the car
manufacturer for that relay is under $2.00)  Since fans pull a healthy current
you don't want it powered off the keyswitch so switching it off with the
switch requires a relay.

Is there a functional benefit?  No.  As Jim pointed out the engine is off and
the waterpump is stopped so there is no movement of coolant through the
radiator.  Also, since the engine is off there is no more heat being produced so
there is no more need to run the fan.

Dave