[TR] Fan Hookup

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Sun Nov 11 10:13:46 MST 2007

On 11 Nov 2007 at 10:01, GHaynesTR4 at aol.com wrote the following
sentences (not in this order):

> Eventually the sensor unit failed...
> If you retain the automatic-on/off feature, wire it to an
> always-hot circuit, so it can continue to run after the
> ignition switch is turned off, if the engine is still
> warm enough to require that.

This works as long as the sensor doesn't fail such that it keeps the
switch closed, in which case it will run down your battery.  (You've
already proven that an "inexpensive" switch can fail.)  But more
importantly, the water pump won't be running so you won't get any
engine cooling.  In other words, there is nothing to gain from wiring
it this way, but something to lose.

> In my case, I removed the engine-driven fan blade, so the
> electric unit is all I have.

Just remember to watch the temp gauge and hope the gauge works
properly.

BL used an electric fan on the last year or so of the Spitfire.  It
came on through the ignition switch.  I don't recall if it was wired
to the ignition or to the accessories, or if it perhaps had its own
dedicated contact in the switch.  On my car a PO had disconnected the
radiator sensor and wired a manual switch out of sight under the
dash.  I reconnected the sensor (it may have been bad and I replaced
it - it was so long ago I don't remember), and wired the manual
switch in parallel with it.  That way it works automatically, plus I
have the manual backup.  And when running slowly on really warm days
I can turn the fan on before it comes on by itself, gaining a few
minutes of airflow.

A fan should stay on after the engine is stopped only if something
under the bonnet requires localized cooling.  My Fiat X-1/9 had such
an insulated engine compartment that after I parked it on a warm day
it could suffer vapor lock for the next 15 minutes.  Fiat's solution
was a dedicated fan blowing on the carb, with its own thermostat.  It
was disconcerting to shut off the engine and have a fan come on as I
walked away.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com