[TR] Fan Hookup

GHaynesTR4 at aol.com GHaynesTR4 at aol.com
Sun Nov 11 08:01:48 MST 2007

Chris,
I bought the electric fan for my TR4A from JC Whitney, the one with the
sensor which slides into a radiator hose.   Eventually the sensor unit failed and I
wired the fan to a separate switch.   Since the dash light rheostat was
always in the brightest position, I removed it from the dash panel and wired the
leads together.   Then bought another heater fan switch (with the little fan
blade pictured on the knob) and installed it where the rheostat had been.   Wired
the cooling fan to the new switch.   Now the dash uses only correct-looking
switches, just two of one kind.   In retrospect, I might have installed a relay
in the cooling fan circuit because the fan draws just over ten amps, perhaps
too much for the switch and wiring.
If you retain the automatic-on/off feature, wire it to an always-hot circuit,
so it can continue to run after the ignition switch is turned off, if the
engine is still warm enough to require that.
In my case, I removed the engine-driven fan blade, so the electric unit is
all I have.   So far, so good, but I later purchased a second fan from JCW as a
spare.   Good luck!
George Haynes