[TR] spit suspension question

Joe Curry spitlist at cox.net
Fri Nov 9 09:42:09 MST 2007

Having tried both the camber compensator and the swing-spring on my Mk1, I
can truthfully say that the swing-spring leaves much to be desired.
Apparently Triumph thought so too because after they tried it on early
MkIV's, they lengthened the axles to drastically induce a lot of negative
camber.  I think that in itself did more to controlling the problems with
the suspension than the swing-spring itself.

One additional thing that I have discovered is that by decreasing the roll
stiffness, you get a huge amount of body roll that I find to be
counter-productive.

The camber compensator controlls the wheel tuck and makes the handling much
nicer and most importantly, SAFER.

While many people like the swing spring option, it will eventually end up
with a sagging rear suspension due to the weaker springs that are used
(fewer leaves).  To get the full effect of the swing spring will require
replacing the axles as well as the spring components and that starts to get
into some really big bucks and makes the camber compensator a much more
affordable option.

Joe Curry