[TR] Connecting red wire on Pertronix

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Nov 6 08:04:39 MST 2007

> I would add... I don't remember the year of the auto we are
> discussing...
> but if it has a "ballast resister", take it out and trash it
> as electronic ignitions need a full 12 volt supply...

Well, yeah ... except that with a Pertronix, if the coil originally needed
an external ballast, it still does.  If you just remove the ballast, then
the coil & Pertronix unit will overheat.  And, since this is a late TR6, the
ballast is part of the wiring harness, which is kind of needed for other
things.

But getting a full 12v to the Pertronix is exactly why John is looking for a
source of switched 12v.

Randall