[TR] Connecting red wire on Pertronix

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Nov 4 18:38:05 MST 2007

>      I need to hook the red wire of my pertonix to a full 12
> volt source.  Any problem with connecting to the bottom
> connector on y oil pressure switch?

You mean other than it not working ?

>  Seems like a convenient
> spot close to the Dizzy without having to drape a wire across
> to the fuse box.

Problem is, the OP switch doesn't get 12v directly.  Instead it either gets
it through the oil warning light (key on) or through the anti-runon solenoid
(key off).  Plus of course it shorts these to ground depending on whether
you have oil pressure or not; while you'd probably like to be able to start
the engine without oil pressure and have it keep running when you get oil
pressure.

I'm not sure which terminal is on the bottom (depends on how tight your
switch was screwed in), but none of them are what you want.

I guess, if you don't care about the ARS, you could hi-jack it's wire by
rewiring the ignition switch (to supply power down the brown/red with the
key on), then short the NR and WP leads at the ARS, then remove the
white/purple from the OP switch and use it to power your Pertronix.

But that seems like a lot of work (and chances to forget what you've done
next time you or someone else works on the wiring), just to avoid running a
wire to the fuse block.

Randall