[TR] Connecting red wire on Pertronix

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Nov 4 18:42:10 MST 2007

> It is easy to determine
> by connecting a probe light or Volt meter to the oil pressure
> switch (or any other point you want to test) and turn on the
> ignition.  If the probe light illuminates or you get a 12 V.
> reading on your meter, that should work.

There is a problem with that approach (which I suspect is exactly what John
has done).  The problem is that you don't know how much resistance is in
that circuit, and the Pertronix requires a low-resistance source of power.

In fact, the original coil wire will pass the above test.

So if you want to do it that way, use a relatively high power load (like an
old headlight bulb) to test the circuit, then check how much voltage you
get.  If you can get 12v with a headlight bulb lit from it, it's low enough
resistance to power the Pertronix.

Randall