[TR] Transmission Locks in Reverse

THOMAS FANSHER tfansher at comcast.net
Sun Nov 4 14:08:12 MST 2007

I had my TR3A lock up in reverse at the Funkana at Valley Forge this summer.
The "ball and spring" that acts as an anti-rattle slipped and wedged itself
thereby locking the transmission shifter from moving. The fix is to remove
the carpet and the two 1/4 inch bolts that hold the rounded cover on the
shifter. Remove the shifter and the offending spring and small rod.  I got a
new rod from the usual suppliers and installed it after I got home and it
happened again a couple of days later. I suppose that I have a bad shift
handle. The ball and rod only act as anti rattle so it's not a big deal to
work without them and so that's what I'm doing.
As Randall said, if it's locked in reverse and the shifter is in neutral
then I'm no help.
Good luck
Tom
61 TR3A