[TR] Transmission Locks in Reverse

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Nov 4 12:37:43 MST 2007

> However, when I put it in reverse and backed it up, it would
> not come out of reverse. It is locked up.
>
> Any thoughts on what may have caused the problem?

Do you mean the lever is stuck in the reverse position ?  Or the
transmission is in reverse while the lever has moved back to neutral ?

Either way, most likely it's a problem with the transmission top cover.  So
pull out the tunnel again, and unbolt the top cover, and see what the
problem is.

If the cover works once it's off the box, then the problem is inside the
box.  The reverse idler must be jammed somehow.  Not sure offhand, but ISTR
that can happen with the crash box if the locating pin for the idler shaft
is left out, or broken.

Randall