[TR] Rear spring

MMoore8425 at aol.com MMoore8425 at aol.com
Sun Nov 4 12:05:11 MST 2007

In a message dated 11/4/2007 9:43:35 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
bielings at comcast.net writes:

Hi,
I  am removing the rear springs from my '60 TR3a.
I have removed everything  removed except the front pin
which goes through the "silent block".
I  installed the 5/16" x 24 bolt into the head of the pin.
According to Haynes  I should be able to pry the pin out.
It seems to be frozen solid. Any  Ideas?
Pete Bieling

Peter, there are many theories about this. One of my "trophies" in  my
display of horrors is that bolt with a 5/16-24 bolt broken off in  it, in the 5/16
bolt there is a broken off EZ out, and a broken off tap  extractor. After a lot
of problems, I removed the little slipper piece of   the gravel shield, and
carefully drilled right through the body. I then got a  long punch. I cut a
hole in a piece of wood and put around it in case I missed  with the sledge
hammer.

I started with a small diameter punch, and all that did was to expand the
bolt. A large long punch worked great. I had also soaked it with Liquid Wrench
and heated it etc.

My plan was to weld it up , but since its covered nicely by the gravel
shield, I just put Rustoleum rusty metal primer on the edges and left it.

Good Luck!
Mike Moore