[TR] Rear spring

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Nov 4 12:00:46 MST 2007

> According to Haynes I should be able to pry the pin out.
> It seems to be frozen solid. Any Ideas?

Didn't we already have this thread this year ?  Perhaps you should check the
archives for previous posts.

Anyway, yes, that's a very common problem.  The pin rusts into the sleeves
in the frame and Silentbloc and can be very difficult to remove.  I was able
to get mine out by fabricating a puller from a home-made 5/16 stud (cut the
head off a Grade 8 bolt and tapped the cut end; which then had to be
replaced for the other pin due to extreme wear) plus some pipe and a 3/8"
drive socket.  Heat and/or your favorite penetrating oil will help too.  But
be careful, all (AFAIK) penetrating oils are flammable so it's easy to get a
small fire going when alternating heat & oil.

An ex-Triumph dealer mechanic once told me that they would just drill a hole
in the outer bodywork and drive the pins out with a punch & BFH.
Afterwards, they stuck a chrome plug in the hole in the body.  Of course,
you can also use this method by removing the body (thereby avoiding the hole
& plug).

Randall