[TR] Exhaust notes (off topic?)

TeriAnn Wakeman twakeman at razzolink.com
Sun Nov 4 07:14:50 MST 2007

Tom Note wrote:
>  I have an icon on my opening screen that I open every once in a while that
> plays the sound of a P51 approaching, overhead, and receding into the
> distance.

Ah, ear candy!  But can your computer's speaker do it justice?

I frequently hear Merlins overhead in real life.  There are a few P51's
based in nearby airports, plus last time I checked there was a guy at
Monterey airport who had a P-39 and ME-109 (ex-Spanish air force), that
both had Merlin engines in them.

And then every once in a while there is the sound of multiple big
radials.  The Watsonville fly in usually attracts either a B-17 or B-14
and occasionally both.  The B-17 folks sell rides so for a week after
the Watsonville show the B-17 is usually flying paying riders along the
coast at around 1500 feet.

The air field at Fort Ord has become a private field that has started to
have an annual show. The day after their show ended I saw a B-25 flying
over my house.  Its not a bad neighborhood if you like the sound of war
birds.

Back to topic:

My TR3 has the earlier TR2 exhaust with no resonator, four tube headers
with collector down by the starter motor and a 280 degree cam.  It has a
very nice exhaust note that doesn't sound at all like your typical TR3A.
  I like to go through tunnels at 4000 RPM just to listen to the exhaust.