[TR] Exhaust notes (off topic?)

Mark Hooper mhooper at digiscreen.ca
Sat Nov 3 19:17:59 MST 2007

Hi Alan:

Your note reminded me of something that John Macartney contributed back
in 2001.

I copy Jonmacs note:

>Amen to all that. But the sound of a sole Spitfire or Hurribird can do
>things to your tear ducts if sound is allied to vision, while the
>bellowing of a Lanc makes your hair stand on end. Aint no sound in the
>world like a Merlin.

And add in the response to it from my father who was in the RAF as a
young radio mechanic during the time the Spitfires and Lancasters were
flying.

He responded with the following comment:

"The enthusiast should try being crouched inside the tail section of a
Spitfire, with his knees by his ears and fixing the radio wiring, with
the engine running."

A flip side to every record eh?  :^)

Mark Hooper
72 TR6

P.S.  I gather that it was a known diagnostic practise with planes that
would cut out the radio due to harness stretching at take-off or when
manoeuvring. Must have been interesting being pulled backward down a
runway poking at wires.