[TR] Exhaust notes (off topic?)

Alan & Lyn Dunscombe dunscomb at chch.planet.org.nz
Sat Nov 3 18:24:26 MST 2007

And now for something completely .........

For those of you (like me) who revel in the sound of a tuned LBC running
with minimal exhaust muffling, [& I have to admit that a 6 cyl. TR, Healey
or Jag motor sounds even better than a 4 cylinder TR(actor) motor] dream on
this one.

I was outside yesterday  enjoying the spring weather here, when I hear a
distinctive sound approaching,
I looked up and overhead at quite low altitude a restored P51 Mustang went
directly overhead.

Now, for those of you who have never heard a Merlin motor at close range,
it is enough to make the hairs on the back of your head stand on end!
Imagine 27 litres of twin supercharged V12 motor running on avgas and
producing 2030 plus h.p. and running on short open stub exhausts.

The Merlin is quite rightly regarded as one of the all-time great aero
motors, and has a most distinctive sound, if you have never experienced one
then go to one of the airshows featuring WW 11 vintage planes and wait for
either a Mustang, Spitfire, or Hurricane. I guarantee you will not be
disappointed!

Now, if I could figure out a way of extending the TR chassis so I could fit
one in the front.....

regards from "The Deep South"

Alan