[TR] Wheel Shimmy

DLylis at aol.com DLylis at aol.com
Thu Nov 1 04:43:15 MST 2007

In a message dated 10/31/2007 11:16:29 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
tr3driver at ca.rr.com writes:

Another  good question to ask is how much runout do the wheels have, in 2
different  axes.  They are never just "true", there is always some runout,
both  radial and lateral, and if your shop doesn't know this (and know  the
number), they don't know what they are  doing.

So true.  I had a couple of good splines lying around with some pretty
banged up knockoffs.  I chucked up one of the knockoffs in a lathe and  cut a
tapered hole so that the Hunter cone could bear on the taper and the wheel  could
properly bear on the spline and the inside taper of the knockoff.  As  the tech
had no clue as to radial and lateral runout the Hunter machine could  not
balance the wheels.  In the end, having them properly "trued"  solved the
problem.  Tires were shaved as well.
I swore that I was going to learn to true a wire wheel but it is still
sitting on my to do list.
"Trued" is a relative term as I believe acceptable runout for a wire wheel
is .050".  I will have to check my Bentley.

David  Lylis
69 TR6 CC26160L
60 TR3A TS74461LO