[TR] Tire age Query

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jul 31 15:02:29 MDT 2007

> Seems that I vaguely recall a thread on tire age as
> determined by a code on
> the tire wall? Can't seem to find the key to this code. Can
> somebody remind
> me? The only thing I've found resembling codes on my tires are 25266-2
> followed by DESIGN 9526.

Should be much more than that, assuming the tires were sold in the US within
the last 15 years or so.  Here's a couple of links that may help :
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=33&currentpage=11
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

> Following that, how does one determine replacement age of
> tires if car is
> driven very little (<500 miles/year) and tires look very good
> externally?

Different sources give different numbers.  I believe Ford & Chrysler
recommend tires be replaced after 6 years, even if they have never been
used.

Tire failure is no fun at all, so I feel this is an area where it pays to be
conservative, unless you only drive in parades.  When I bought my Stag, the
tires still had plenty of tread and I thought I could let them go until I
bought new wheels.  Less than 100 miles later, one of the rear tires flew
apart, and the belts flayed all the paint off the fender before I could pull
over.

Randall
(Tedious but unavoidable disclaimer follows)

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may contain information proprietary to NavCom Technology, Inc., or one of its affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.