[TR] Tire age Query

ghamilton99 at comcast.net ghamilton99 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 31 13:45:02 MDT 2007

Fran:
Here is my recent response from Michelin, about my brand new $175 2000 Landcruiser spare:

Gary,

Thank you for using Michelin tires and for sending us your email. We
appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

While most tires will need replacement before they achieve 10 years, it is
recommended that any
tires in service 10 years or more from the date of manufacture, including
spare tires, be replaced with
new tires as a simple precaution even if such tires appear serviceable and
even if they have not reached
the legal wear limit.

For tires that were on an original equipment vehicle (i.e., acquired by the
consumer on a new vehicle), follow the vehicle manufacturer's tire
replacement recommendations, when specified (but not
to exceed 10 years).

The date when a tire was manufactured is located on the sidewall of each
tire. Consumers should locate the Department of Transportation or DOT code
on the tire which begins with DOT and ends with the week and year of
manufacture. For example, a DOT code ending with "2204" indicates a tire
made in the 22nd week (May) of 2004.

If your questions have not been answered to your satisfaction, please call
me at 1-800-847-3435 (toll-free) between 8:30AM and 6:00PM Eastern Time
Monday through Friday.

Sincerely,
Bobby
Michelin North America