[TR] (no subject)

spamiam at comcast.net spamiam at comcast.net
Tue Jul 31 11:02:38 MDT 2007

>Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 16:38:34 -0400
>From: "Bob Danielson" <75TR6 at tr6.danielsonfamily.org>
>Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 Electronic Ignition Question
>To: "'Daehler, William F'" <william.f.daehler at delphi.com>,
>	<triumphs at autox.team.net>
>
>Better yet, there's this one http://www.123ignition.nl/id/22.html  It's a
>drop in replacement distributor. Only problem is you'd have to have your
>tach converted to electronic.
>

>Bob Danielson
>1975 TR6 CF38503U
>Running w/ Throttle Body Injection
>http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org

Are you sure about that?  I have looked at these a little.  It looks as if they are a LITERAL drop-in replacement.  Admittedly, I was looking at one that would fit the TR4A, however.

It looks as if they will fit in the original distributor pedastal, which on the TR2-4A (at least) engines has the tach drive in the pedastal.

It looks as if the original tach drive would still work on my car.  Not so on the TR6?

Other than offering variable amounts of total advance, and being NEW not worn out, it does not seem to be all that much better than a more standard style distributor with an aftermarket electronic ignition.

The installation instructions are not very thorough.  The description of the vacuum advance functions is sketchy.  The manual does not clearly chart the advance curve.  Neither the vacuum advance curve, nor the "mechanical advance" curve of the electronic advance unit.  I would be more comfortable with more info.

-Tony