[TR] TR3A Intermittent overdrive

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Jul 30 14:37:50 MDT 2007

> I was going to try adjusting the arm the solenoid acts on it
> slightly up or
> down but as its such a pain to do I was
> hoping for something that would increase my odds from 50/50
> on weather I
> should adjust up or down?   Any votes?

Have you checked how far the solenoid drops when not engaged ?  If it drops
too far, it could cause the symptom you describe.  Some brackets had an
adjustment for drop, but others just have a rubber block that can rot and
fall out.  Several people have suggested adding a bolt and nut to the later
bracket, so the stop can be adjusted.  Laycock specified a drop of 1/4", but
some people have suggested using less, to be sure the solenoid can pull in
every time.

It's also common on older units for the "adjustment lever" on the side to
not give the right adjustment.  It's better, IMO, to measure the movement of
the operating valve ball directly with a dial indicator.

Both items are discussed in detail, with photos & diagrams, at :
http://www.vintagetriumphregister.org/maintain/TransRebuild/OverDriveA02.pdf

Randall
(Tedious but unavoidable disclaimer follows)

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may
contain information proprietary to NavCom Technology, Inc., or one of its
affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed
to third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the
intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic
mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this
electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding,
printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the
sender by return mail.