[TR] Dayton Wire Wheels verse Dunlop

Btmfdchn at aol.com Btmfdchn at aol.com
Sun Jul 29 20:09:43 MDT 2007

In a message dated 7/29/2007 5:47:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
bbrewer at tvwireless.net writes:

I bought a slightly used set of MOSS Dunlop 60 spoke painted
wire wheels. They had no paint chipped off from curb rubs and still
had the MOSS stickers on them. The hubs were used, but appeared to
still fit tight. I have enjoyed the classic looks. Unfortunately,  one
wheel has developed a serious clunk and has play on the hub.  Another
wheel just broke a spoke and gave me a flat tire when the  spoke
pushed through the tape into the tube.
In the short run, I plan to replace the busted spoke and put
more  tape over the nipples and keep driving with the clunk.
I was considering upgrading to Dayton 60 spoke chrome/SS spoke
wheels and new hubs at considerable expense. Either that or  Minilites
or Panasports, although they don't look as  period.

Can the Daytons be used with tubeless  tires or do you still
need tubes?
Is it  realistic that the Daytons never need truing?
What is  the best deal on Daytons and new hubs? it looks like
British Wire  Wheel in Fresno might be best for me (3 hours away). Has
anyone  dealt with them?
What works best at lubing the splined  hubs? I used high
temperature grease last time and it was rusted on  when I tried to
remove them. I plan to used anti-seize next time. It  might be a
yearly maintenance activity from now on.

TIA,

Bill Brewer
Tehachapi, CA
1960  TR3A

Greetings Bill...   Daytons are far better than the current  production of
"Dunlop" wheels.  If your hubs are OK (try fitting a  different wheel on that
hub and see if it still clunks) and you want to stay  with wires, get the 72
spoke wheels as they are considerably stronger and more  reliable than the 60's.
Use CopaSlip on the splines (British Wire Wheel  sells it).  I've heard
nothing but good about the Kuhmos and know some  people who had bad experiences
with Vredestein.      TJ