[TR] Taps & Dies

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Sat Jul 28 08:06:21 MDT 2007

In a message dated 7/27/2007 1:51:12 PM Central Daylight Time,
pethier at comcast.net writes:
> I wouldn't bother buying them unless they were High Speed Steel.  I have
> used a lot of hardware-store taps over the years and most of them are rubbish
> sutible only for cleaning up existing threads in soft metal.

Which is the main purpose for us restorers.  The main use for those of us not
fabricating parts from scratch is to clean the rust and paint out of the
factory tapped holes.  I chuck one up in my battery drill, set the torque limiter
to an appropriate level and zip, I've got clean threads.

Dave