[TR] Taps & Dies

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Fri Jul 27 06:21:40 MDT 2007

In a message dated 7/26/2007 11:51:40 PM Central Daylight Time,
acekraut11 at aol.com writes:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> A local hardware store is going out of business and they have a bunch of
> taps and dies that are 75% off.? I thought it might be wise to pick up some of
> the more common taps and dies that are typically used during an extensive
> restoration.? Can anyone recommend some sizes?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help and expertise.
>
> Aaron

If it were me I would buy taps in the following sequence:

5/16-24
3/8-24
1/4-28
3/8-18
5/16-18
1/4-20
10-32
8-32

I don't know how many you plan to buy but start at the top of the list and
work down.  If you are feeling rich you may want to buy one of everything they
have.  The list is based on my perception of the frequency that you will find
these sizes but there are a couple of threaded fasteners that are 7/16 UNF and
there may be an electrical connection or two using a 6-32 screws.

And get some tapping oil.

Dave