[TR] Contact Points

Chip19474 at aol.com Chip19474 at aol.com
Thu Jul 26 06:20:36 MDT 2007

In a message dated 7/25/2007 5:40:23 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
terryrs at comcast.net writes:

and the  points were still closed!  (to the naked eye, anyway)
How in  the heck did this thing keep running????

Terry,

>From years of changing points it's amazing to me to see these cars running
on what appears to be "no point gap".  The key to your observation that the
points were closed is "to the naked eye" since they must have been opening or
you wouldn't be collapsing the magnetic field in the coil and causing a  spark.

As many responses have noted, get a good quality point set with condenser
and get a good quality rotor.  Use a small dab of dist shaft lube so the
rubbing block won't wear down quickly.  The range of point gap is .014" to  .016"
for proper dwell angle.  I like to set new points to .016" -  that way you've
got a tolerance of .002" to allow for the rubbing block to  eventually wear
down.

Chip Krout
Delaware Valley Triumphs, Ltd.
Skippack, PA