[TR] Head Gasket for TR3A - smooth up or down

Allan Reich areich at telus.net
Thu Jul 26 02:05:54 MDT 2007

Fellow Listers !!
I am going crazy with head gasket issues.  I have just blown my second
one in two weeks.  I am thinking of putting LTD clips on my carbs and
manifolds to save time taking them off and putting them on !

I am confused by the  various experts that tell me:
     - definitely put the head gasket "smooth side up"
 and the other experts that tell me:
      - definitely put the head gasket "smooth side down"

Does anybody have an old gasket with only one oil hole?  If yes, is it
smooth side up or down?

I have put both "smooth side down" and have had troubles.  I think my
problems stem from overheating but not positive yet. I took the TR3A on
a trip of a couple of hundred miles, over mountain passes about 4500
feet, and did get very hot!

I haven't found anywhere in the shop manual to help me out.  I think
Haynes said "put it with the word TOP up" but of course the new Payen
gaskets down have the word TOP on their gaskets

I would appreciate advice and lister's expertise ... but I don't want to
count the "ups" and "downs" to determine the answer

Many thanks
Allan Reich
1960 TR3A  TS65713L