[TR] VTR Ramblings, 3900 miles round trip

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jul 24 17:55:30 MDT 2007

> Anyone going to Triumphest this year in Laughlin NV??  We are
> planning
> on it, with some more Stagtivities for all you West Coast drivers.

It could happen, if I ever get this accursed gearbox back in the car.

Spent hours last night, playing with shims & control valves for the J-type.
Turns out my old OD was apparently for a TR6 or similar, so not enough
pressure for the Stag; plus the Volvo unit has a different relief/control
valve assembly.  Better design, IMO, but takes different springs and still
only set for around 400 psi instead of the 510-550 recommended for the Stag.

But I've finally got enough shims in there to make it work.  I'm a little
bit worried about coil bind, but it should be OK ... I hope !

So now all I need to do is fabricate some "dowel bolts"; put the gearbox
back in; replace the broken LH exhaust manifold; assemble the replacement
pulleys, fan & Torquatrol (PS pulley was damaged); and installed the freshly
rodded radiator.  Oh yeah, need some work on the headpipes, too, plus maybe
some of those stainless band clamps so they won't be so hard to get off next
time.

Then if nothing else goes wrong, I'll have to replace the seals in the diff
(and probably the bearing in the extension too) before attempting the trip
to Laughlin.

Hmm, current weather in Laughlin is 102F with a flash flood watch ... maybe
I'd better work on the A/C too !

Randall

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may contain information proprietary to NavCom Technology, Inc., or one of its affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.