[TR] Hood liner and Really Really Dumb

Bob Danielson 75TR6 at tr6.danielsonfamily.org
Tue Jul 24 17:44:58 MDT 2007

OK, so I installed the hood liner
(http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/HoodLiner.htm) a few months ago and it fell
off because I used the wrong adhesive but Bob Budd sent me a new one at no
cost. Great customer service. Reinstall it with the correct adhesive and
it's stuck there forever now. So last week before leaving VTR for the drive
home I check the oil, it's down a smidge and I've got a smidge in one
bottle. Top it off, check the level, toss the bottle out and close the hood.
Drive for 2 hours up the Jersey Turnpike and the Garden State Pkwy and stop
for a break at a rest area. Pop the hood to check on a small coolant leak I
developed and...........What the @$%#....there's oil everywhere.....the hood
liner is covered, as is the engine bay.........and there sitting on the
battery is the oil filler cap smiling at me. What a mess. What a dummy.
Luckily it was all splatter and no quantity lost as I didn't even have to
add any oil. Anyhow, yesterday I cleaned the engine bay and took the old
hood liner that fell off and covered a 10" circle with oil and let it sit
overnight. Today I hit the spot with "Greased Lighting", wiped it up, rinsed
with water and there's absolutely no evidence of oil. So I did the same with
the liner on the car and it came out looking like new. I couldn't believe
it. Bob states on his site that they WILL NOT absorb oil and they won't.
Even the logo looks great.

My wife's only comment was...."at least it didn't happen on the way TO the
VTR Convention" :-)

Bob Danielson
1975 TR6 CF38503U
Running w/ Throttle Body Injection