[TR] Alloy Water Pump

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jul 24 14:51:44 MDT 2007

> My conclusion from that conversation was that adding vanes does not
> necessarily improve water pump performance. Does anyone know
> if there is  credible
> evidence that it improves cooling in this case?

Improving cooling is a different matter than improving water flow.  The
evidence of increased water flow seems clear to me, several racers have
reported increased pressure readings inside the engine.  Henry Frye reported
pegging a 35 psi gauge coming off the straight (but declined to mention his
tach reading at the moment).

Whether and how much that improves cooling is a different matter.  However,
on the TRactor motor, there does appear to be a problem with insufficient
water movement around the #4 cylinder, which increased flow is bound to
help, IMO.  I've heard from several people who are also experimenting with
restrictors fitted to the front water passages, for the same reason.  (For
example, Mordy Dunst sells head gaskets with smaller holes for the front
water passages.)  All this is under racing conditions though, so may or may
not be applicable to the street.  Higher pressure inside the head will also,
at least in theory, reduce nucleate boiling near the limit, which can be
important for engines modified to produce twice (or more) as much power as
original.

It's not even clear to me that the real difference is 6 vanes vs 4 vanes.
The 6 vane pumps have more surface area on the vanes, and are finished all
over, while at least some 4 vane impellers have rough sand-cast surfaces.
The vanes are also curved on the 6-vane, straight on the 4-vane.  Might be
that a 4 vane pump built to the same vane shape and size as the 6 would work
just as well.  But until someone builds a pump like that, it's kind of a
moot point.

Randall
(Tedious but unavoidable disclaimer follows)

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may contain information proprietary to NavCom Technology, Inc., or one of its affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.