[TR] VTR Ramblings, 3900 miles round trip

Glenn A. Merrell StagByTriumph at tscusa.org
Tue Jul 24 11:28:26 MDT 2007

pethier at comcast.net wrote:
> Nope, not an empty victory.  You beat all the conventioneers with modified cars who did not show up at the autocross to oppose you.  The idea of bringing a sports car to a sports-car convention and not running the autocross seems very strange to me.
>
> Then again, the idea of bringing a sports car to a sports-car convention and not running the TSD rally seems very strange to some other folks.  Different strokes.
>
> --
> Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul Minnesota  USA
Thanks Phil,
I fully agree.  Autocross is one of the events that you can explore the
limits of your Triumph or LBC in a pretty safe environment.  You can
drive the course as slow as you want, or drive it with wild abandon.
The only problem is when you complete the course, your adrenalin in
pumping like crazy!

Another thing you experience driving autocross are the limits of your
car, how it handles in extreme situations.  It is better to experience
that in a parking lot than on the highway in an emergency situation.

If you get out of sorts and crossed up on an autocross course, all you
kill are a few plastic cones, sort of like Dave Massey - The CONE
KILLER!!!  Anyone get photos of that??

 I bet Clark did on his site  http://www.cwnicholls.net/vtr/

For TSD, when I get my odometer a little closer than 13%, I'll do
TSD's.  I had done TSD's in the past when I had my TR250 and they are
great fun!

But that is what VTR is all about - Driving your Triumph, not standing
around all primped and polished.

--
Glenn A. Merrell
Chairman, Triumph Stag Club USA (2007-2009)