[TR] TR6 battery and alternator problem

David Soknacki soknacki at soknacki.com
Sun Jul 22 10:46:50 MDT 2007

Fm David Soknacki
   74 TR6 CF22072U

1. During the upcoming week I plan to replace my battery and alternator, and
am writing to ask if these are the right steps to take. Also I'm interested
in recommendations for selecting an alternator.

2. For weeks I've had intermittent electrical problems
a) the battery started to bubble acid out its vents. What a mess: paint,
chrome, and hoses now all need attention. (I keep the acid covering the
plates, and at the bottom of the split rings)
b) over this summer there were a couple of times when the battery seemed
unable to start the engine. About a month ago I brought the battery (bought
28 months ago) to the retailer who ran diagnostics on it. He said the
battery was fine, but needed charging which he did
c) yesterday the battery has discharged so that it is no longer able to turn
the starting motor. The radio settings were reset as well.
3. My non-LBC mechanic figures it might be the voltage regulator. He tested
the car at 2 000 rpm, and the voltage was about 14.3v. According to Bentley
the control voltage is 14 volts, but I don't know if this difference is a
problem.

4. I'd appreciate the wisdom of the list
a) should I just get a voltage regulator? or do I replace the entire
alternator?
b) or do I replace both alternator and battery since the battery could be so
abused that it probably needs replacement?
c) or is the problem something else?

5. The alternator now installed is by Lucas - I suspect it is a 17ACR,
although I cannot find the number. If I decide to replace the alternator, do
list members recommend replacing it with the same item? The Buckeye Club
site suggests that a good alternate is the high amp Bosch alternator used
for the Ford Fiesta and VW Rabbit.

6. I realize there many listers have great talent and good access to LBC
parts. But here in Canada our summers are short, and getting a voltage
regulator from one of our LBC suppliers will take about two weeks. My
preference would be to spend a little extra and so be able to use my TR6
sooner.

Thanks so much