[TR] high engine rpm

jimmuller at rcn.com jimmuller at rcn.com
Fri Jul 20 15:45:49 MDT 2007

Terry Geiger wrote:

> The speedo and tach were design to track with each other in
> top gear so 2krpm should get you 40mph, 3k rpm 60 mph and
> so on.

Through the clever use of advance technology before the development of microprocessors, Triumph engineers were able to make the engine speed and road speed track linearly with each other no matter what gear you were in!  And of course, if he fixes his mal-adjusted tach so that it reports rpms correctly that will also cure his overheating on the highway.

But all seriousness aside though, when I read that original posting I was struck by the tire size issue.  (Did the TR6 really come with 205/70's?)  I wondered if maybe a PO had tweaked the tires and/or diff to get better torque to the wheels at the cost of higher rpms.  A PO might have changed both.  Of course, we are smart enough to know that tweaking the tire size is equivalent to tweaking the diff ratio as far as road speed vs. rpms is concerned, so if his new correct tires restored the accuracy of the spedoometer then the diff must be correct too (unless the spedoometer was wrong, except that he checked it against another vehicle).  So the only possibilities are either that the gearing was changed or that the tach is inaccurate and the overheating is a different problem completely.  The latter seems more likely.

Jim Muller, who once owned an immobile TR6