[TR] high engine rpm

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Jul 20 14:55:58 MDT 2007

> At 60 mph my tack registers right at 3500 rpm.

Could be the tach is wrong.  Should be closer to 2900 rpm (with 205/70-15
tires & 3.7 gears), and reading 600 rpm high isn't terribly uncommon for
these old mechanical tachs.

> Short of removing and
> disassembling the rear end is there any way to tell what
> rear-end gears are
> really in the car.

Lots of ways.  If you jack up one rear wheel (leaving the other touching the
ground or otherwise blocked from turning), you can put a mark on the wheel
and on the driveshaft and count how many turns the driveshaft makes for 2
full turns of the wheel.  The driveshaft will turn less than 4 full turns if
you have the standard 3.7 gears; more than 4 full turns if you have 4.1 or
4.55 gears.

To get a more accurate value, turn the wheel 20 full turns, giving 37 turns
of the driveshaft for a 3.7, or 41 or 45.5 for the other ratios.

Randall
(Tedious but unavoidable disclaimer follows)

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may contain information proprietary to NavCom Technology, Inc., or one of its affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.