[TR] TR6 Wetness and starting

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jul 17 12:23:19 MDT 2007

> >1974 TR6 with SU carbs - otherwise stock. If the motor compartment
> >is seriously wet, i.e. engine hosed off after degreasing, engaging
> >the starter produces a whine or buzz from an electrical
> >component  above the passenger footwell

> a) which component, relay or area's wetness causes this?
> b) what is whining and why?

Not sure where they are located, but a 74 TR6 should have a relay for the
starter, controlled by the seat belt module.  I believe the seat belt module
incorporates a buzzer.   My guess is that you're either hearing the module
buzz, or possibly it is causing the starter relay to buzz.

Personally, my suggestion would be to eliminate the module's control of the
starter relay.  Find the white/red and white/orange wires where they go into
the module, cut them away from the module & splice them together (so the key
powers the relay directly).  If you want, you can also remove the module
entirely.

> c) since it appears that the heavy positive cable goes directly from
> the battery to the starter, where is the solenoid even located?

The solenoid itself is attached directly to the starter, it's that bulge
where the battery cable connects.  In addition to supplying power to the
starter motor (through a very short jumper between the solenoid and the
motor proper), it also moves the pinion gear into engagement with the
flywheel ring gear.  It's possible the solenoid itself is the problem, but
not likely I think.  You can check by connecting a test lamp from the small
solenoid terminal with the white/red wire on it to ground, and see if it
lights when you try to start the engine wet.  If it lights brightly, then
the solenoid is at fault.

Randall
(Tedious but unavoidable disclaimer follows)

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may contain information proprietary to NavCom Technology, Inc., or one of its affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pdf which had a name of TR6 74 wiring diagram from Dan Masters.pdf]