[TR] Rubber bushings

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Jul 14 23:32:28 MDT 2007

> Normally I would use some grease to hold the rust at bay but
> grease (at least general purpose
> grease) will cause or hasten the deterioration of rubber
> products. Any advice on what to use and what has worked for
> other members would be appreciated.

Well, silicone grease won't rot the rubber.  But, the rubber is not supposed
to slide on the pin, and I suspect greasing the pin would allow it to slide.
So likely the best solution is to just keep the rubber in good shape (by
replacing it every couple of years, in my experience).  The rubber itself
will seal and protect the pin, IMO, it only starts to rust when the rubber
is torn and allows air (water, salt, etc.) to get to the pin.

I got tired of changing those darn rubber bushings every few years, and
switched to Nylatron bushings sliding on replaceable stainless sleeves.  Not
original at all, but last much longer.

Randall