[TR] [6pack] Emissions in the future-is retrofitting possible?

Glenn A. Merrell StagByTriumph at tscusa.org
Fri Dec 28 20:09:20 MST 2007

JODY A MORRISON wrote:
> Hello to all...
> There is a movement afoot here in Colorado instigated by the Colorado
> Automobile Dealers (read, new car dealers) to get all pre-1990 cars  off the
> roads here in Colorado. In a telling remark in the article, the pre-1990 cars
> are referred to as 'jalopies'. Their spokesman  states that "5 percent of the
> vehicles out there - made in 1990 and before - are responsible for more than
> half, and perhaps three-quarters of the emissions." Of course this makes no
> mention of the favorite Colorado Commuter Vehicles ( aka, high dealer-profit
> vehicles)....diesel pickups, Escalades, Hummers, hemi-powered anything, etc.
> etc.
>
> It appears to be a transparent effort to divert  attention away from any
> attempts to require new cars/trucks/SUVs to have much higher mpg ratings and
> to sell more new cars. Duh.....
>
> You can read the article and form you own opinions at:
> http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2007/dec/28/saying-no-to-clunkers/<http
> ://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2007/dec/28/saying-no-to-clunkers/>

> As I think about my grandsons inheriting my treasure I must wonder if they
> will ever get to actually drive it.
>
> Happy New Year to all.....
> Larry M
> TR250 project in Colorado

Larry,

For us Coloradans, this has got to get the attention of every car club
in Colorado.
I will be raising this issue at the next Colorado English Motoring
Conclave meeting 23rd January 2008 and request that each member get back
to their respective clubs.

I do not think however that they will outlaw classic cars 25 years old
or older.  There is a fairly strong lobby with classics, and "Hot Rods"
even recently obtained their own license "Hot Rod" plate in Colorado
just like collector vehicles.  Our emissions testing only applies to
standard tags and post 1981.  Special tags for collector vehicles only
require a tail pipe 2000 RPM test.  If the car can pas clean car
emissions, which my Stag can with EFI, you can still get standard plates.

Re improving emissions, just go an EFI setup with O2 sensor feedback and
cat's.  It will give you performance in Colorado right up into altitude
and allow you to meet or exceed emission specs

--
Glenn A. Merrell
Chairman, Triumph Stag Club USA (2007-2009)