[TR] Tin-Zinc plating kit

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Fri Dec 21 06:33:48 MST 2007

In a message dated 12/21/2007 7:17:20 AM Central Standard Time,
dwillner at ptd.net writes:
> I'm thinking about improving the appearance of a lot of smaller hardware
> and
> odds and ends this winter and was wondering if anyone has any experience
> using
> any of the plating kits available today, I know Eastwoods sells a fairly
> inexpensive Tin-Zinc kit that seems to produce some pretty nice results.
> I've
> also looked at some of the cad plating systems, a bit more expensive but a
> real nice finish. Thanks

I have the Eastwood kit.  It works but the finish is not as nice as items I
have had done by professional platers.  And if you go too long it will deposit
the zinc in an uneven manner and ultimately it will grow "hair."  Zinc
stalactites if you will.  Perhaps a quick rub with steel wool and retreat will give
better results.

The pro's in my area charge about $50/lot minimum so any bulk jobs I still
farm out but this kit will be quick and cheap for the odds and ends that didn't
make it into the bulk jobs.

Dave