[TR] New rear axle

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Dec 20 23:04:01 MST 2007

> Now, my question is as follows, do I need to pay to get the
> whole unit
> completely stripped down

Perhaps I am missing something ... why would you want to do that ?

If the gear patterns are good, and the bearings don't feel rough, then I'd
just install it.  Change the pinion seal & inner oil seal, since they are
easy to get to.  But if the outer grease seals in the hubs don't appears to
have been leaking, I'd leave them alone.

Don't forget to check and adjust if necessary the axle end-float.  It's
probably fine if none of the shims were lost when it was taken out, but I'd
check it anyway.

> If it is fine now should I "let sleeping dogs lie"?

I'm a firm believer in "If it ain't broke, don't fix it !"

Randall