[TR] New rear axle

Alan & Lyn Dunscombe dunscomb at chch.planet.org.nz
Thu Dec 20 21:13:49 MST 2007

Greetings to all readers.
Having read the list with interest for some time it is my turn to ask a
question...

Having driven my long door TR2 for 25 odd years with the original (weak)
rear axle while progressively modifying the motor to produce significantly
more power than original I have finally decided to splash out and replace
the said rear axle with the later stronger one, even though I have never
broken a half-shaft..

After some time searching worldwide for a suitable second-hand unit I
located a very reasonably priced one from the fine folks at Team Triumph.
(the variation in prices I got would astound you!) and the unit arrived at
my home recently. Thanks guys.

This unit is in very good condition, as described, and my mechanic has
looked at the ring gear & pinion and proclaimed them to be in excellent
condition and indicating that the alignment is virtually perfect.

Now, my question is as follows, do I need to pay to get the whole unit
completely stripped down and then have to get the ring gear & pinion set up
again? I have heard conflicting stories that if you do this to a ring gear
& pinion that have been driven previously then they have a good chance of
not matching up so well the second time and wearing out quickly or whining.

Come on Randall & Uncle Jack, you guys must have replaced a number of diffs
/ rear ends over the years, what are your recommendations? I have been told
by many knowledgeable people over the years that the diffs in later solid
axle TR's are almost indestructible except under severe racing conditions.
If it is fine now should I "let sleeping dogs lie"?

I await the list's wisdom,

Regards from "The Deep South"
(where it is summer and I am driving the TR whenever possible.)

Alan