[TR] Vacuum advance/retard

Joe Curry spitlist at cox.net
Thu Dec 20 13:32:31 MST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller at rcn.com>
To: <triumphs at autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2007 1:07 PM
Subject: Re: [TR] Vacuum advance/retard

> Which that's some of wot I said in my first note, now didn't I?  The
> trimming process left out the description of why bigger engines had
> VA but little Spitfire engines didn't.

Jim,
Talking generalities can get you into trouble.  Your 1980 Spitfire didn't
have vacuum advance but my 1963 certainly did.  The changeover from advance
to retard seems to have come at the time when emissions standards came into
being (1968 I think).  As has already been stated, retarding the timing at
idle seems to lower the emissions.

Joe C.