[TR] engine compression results

Bob Labuz yellowtr at adelphia.net
Sun Dec 16 16:27:26 MST 2007

On Sunday 16 December 2007 03:46 pm, John Gillis wrote:
> Hi all,
> On the continuing saga that is my TR2 engine rebuild, un-happy with
> the amount of blow-back coming out the oil filler cap, I removed all
> plugs, all 4 were very black, No. 1 was also wet, I am not too
> bothered by this as I have been playing around with mixtures while
> trying to get the engine set up and all engine running has been
> stationery. I carried out a compression test, this gave me 170psi on 1
> 190psi on 2 and 3, but 4 would not hold compression, as soon as I
> stopped turning the engine over the gauge just sank to zero. I put
> some oil down the bore but it had no effect, mind you with such
> drastic readings or lack of them! I am not sure oil would deal with a
> ring problem. I was sure the engine was running on all 4, is this
> possible with zero compression. Any ideas on what I should do next at
> least to confirm where the problem lies.
> Regards
> John
John,

With zero compression I would guess that a valve is open or a valve seat is
not correct.

Unless you have a hole in the piston or 3 broken rings.

There could also be a crack in the head between 3 and 4.

Sounds to me like the head needs to come off.

Was the head checked for cracks and warp by a machine shop?

Bob