[TR] engine compression results

John Gillis jgillis at tcd.ie
Sun Dec 16 13:46:25 MST 2007

Hi all,
On the continuing saga that is my TR2 engine rebuild, un-happy with
the amount of blow-back coming out the oil filler cap, I removed all
plugs, all 4 were very black, No. 1 was also wet, I am not too
bothered by this as I have been playing around with mixtures while
trying to get the engine set up and all engine running has been
stationery. I carried out a compression test, this gave me 170psi on 1
190psi on 2 and 3, but 4 would not hold compression, as soon as I
stopped turning the engine over the gauge just sank to zero. I put
some oil down the bore but it had no effect, mind you with such
drastic readings or lack of them! I am not sure oil would deal with a
ring problem. I was sure the engine was running on all 4, is this
possible with zero compression. Any ideas on what I should do next at
least to confirm where the problem lies.
Regards
John