[TR] GT6+ Running Hot Part 2

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Dec 15 11:19:19 MST 2007

Darrell :

IMO the very first thing to do is verify the accuracy of the temperature
gauge.  Those things were notoriously inaccurate from the factory, and the
current practice of supplying the same temperature sender for all cars (even
when they were originally different) has only aggravated the problem.

The engine should run fine right up to where the coolant boils over, so the
misfiring is a separate problem.  Beverly's discomfort is also a separate
problem (GT6 are famous for high cockpit temperatures).  (Don't forget that
even at normal operating temperature, the engine is too hot to hold your
hand on.  The exhaust is far hotter than that.)

Your comment that the temperature gauge reads about the same even in cool
weather would also tend to indicate that the problem is a gauge that reads a
bit high, rather than any real overheating problem.

FWIW, I fought a problem with my Crane installation for a long time, that
finally proved to be that the rotor I was using had a 'counterweight' molded
into the back of it, that was hitting the Crane pickup module.  But I had a
lot of trouble with phasing before that.  May not be your problems, but
worth keeping in mind, IMO.

Randall